Saturday, October 3, 2009

Vegan MoFo: Day 3


Hello there, everyone!  Tonight is Vegan MoFo Day 3!  The recipe that I have to share with everyone is a Vegan Spaghetti.  Everyone's sure to love it.  My omnivore family loved it.  Yes, I am cooking for an omni family (which is a little difficult, because they expect everything to taste like meat).  Anyways, this was a huge hit with them, and I thought it was fabulous as well!  Recipe is as follows: 

Vegan Spaghetti- serves 6 people
1 66 oz jar of Ragu World Favorites Original Spaghetti Sauce (I checked the ingredients- no meat by products)
1 pound box of fettuccine noodles, or whatever type you prefer (whole grains is better)
1 pound Smart Veggie Sausage
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
salt
pepper

1.  Heat skillet on medium-high until warm.  Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil.  When heated, add Veggie Sausage.  Break up into pieces with spatula, and cook until golden brown.
2.  Pour in all of spaghetti sauce with the Veggie sausage.  Turn the heat down to medium.  Add 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. Italian seasoning.  Salt and pepper to taste.
3.  Boil 6-8 cups water (I don't measure the water exactly).  Add noodles.  Continue to boil until al-dente.
4.  Drain noodles when finished cooking.
5.  Serve and enjoy!

The best part about this dish, was that the veggie sausage actually tasted and smelled extremely similar to pork sausage.  This is good for new vegans, like myself, who are used to eating meat.

An issue that I've noticed with myself, is that I am having a hard time weening myself off of cheese and eggs.  I was able to completely cut out the milk, but for some odd reason, I'm seeming to have a difficult time leaving out the eggs and cheese.  Not sure why.  I really love cheese, and the vegan substitute doesn't even look like cheese.  I'm a little nervous to buy it until I know that it's worth my dollar.  In South Carolina, especially the town that I live in, specialty vegan foods are a bit more expensive than regular foods.  More tomorrow!

Take care.
Cassie

No comments:

Post a Comment